CLICK & COLLECT DELIVERY OPTIONS AVAILABLE
• 1 tbsp vegetable oil
• 50g butter
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 150g bacon, cut into small pieces
• 500g pumpkin flesh
(pumpkin needs to be peeled, deseeded and cut into medium chunks
• 1 litre chicken stock
• 100ml double cream
• 3 tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pan, heat the oil with 25g butter. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook on a low heat for 10 mins or until soft.
- Add 60g bacon and cook for a further 5 mins until the bacon releases its fat.
- Increase the heat to medium, add the pumpkin and stock and season. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook for about 40 mins until the pumpkin is soft.
- Pour in the cream, bring to the boil again and remove from the heat. Set aside some of the liquid, then blend the remaining pumpkin until smooth and velvety, adding liquid back into the pan bit by bit as you go (add more liquid if you like it thinner).
- Strain through a fine sieve, check the seasoning and set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in a pan over a high heat and fry the rest of the bacon with black pepper for 5 mins.
- Divide the bacon between four bowls, reheat the soup and pour over.
- To serve, sprinkle over the pumpkin seeds.